Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Healthy & Creative Leisure

Today on our museum excursions, I was moved by an Adirondack native named Bennie Arnold who's work (800 carvings) was donated by his wife and recognized in the Adirondack Museum. Bennie Arnold became ill as a child and while sick in bed, spent his time carving a miniature wooden chair. Later in his life after he retired, again struggling from health issues, he returned to carving. I was so inspired by him because I think many people would have wallowed in their misery or turned to an unhealthy or unproductive hobby but instead Bennie chose to do something productive and creative. He spent the next 25 years carving and selling hundreds of miniatures, but never an original, he always carved duplicates of whatever was desired by a customer. I admire Bennie for not letting his success or the demand of his carvings, make his hobby become more about money and less about enjoyment. He took pride in his work and often spent several days carving a small piece. I like the picture hanging in the museum of he and his wife because you can tell how proud she is of him and also how modest he is, I love that! 



No comments:

Post a Comment